[Rear-users] REAR recovery to changed hardware

Gratien D'haese gratien.dhaese at it3.be
Mon Mar 23 20:07:08 CET 2009

Hi,

it is feasible, as I have knowledge of a customer who implemented P2V,
but very customized to his proper environment so that it becomes
unusable for general usage.

Make-Cloning (mkclone): needs all kernel modules copied to the rescue
image, and most likely udevd to handle this modules easily. I would
suggest to have a minimal dhcpcd too. These 2 steps cover the minimal
requirements that the rescue system needs (all disk and network
drivers and DHCP IP address).

Furthermore, the destination system needs to discover automatically
(in cloning-recover mode) the hardware it has on-board (e.g. hwinfo
stuff from SuSe is a good example; but unfortunately that doesn't
exist on RHEL a.o.). Why? To load only the modules it really needs.

The rest is the same as rear recover, except for the last bit we need
to make to new destination system bootable.

Cloning to smaller disks: that is not too easy but doable (did it with
mkCDrec). The partition sizes must be adapted - sounds simple but
becomes tricky sometimes.

You see - the basics are easy. You need to make 2 new workflows:
- mkclone
- cloning (do not want to use the name clone - sounds too funny :)

However, the hwinfo stuff must be generic that works on all platforms
- I've been looking into this a few months ago, but have to trace it
back. Too busy lately to remember older stuff.

Rgd,
Gratien