[Rear-users] Rear auf einer SLES10 mit einem DAC960 RAID Controller

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Wed Oct 15 15:23:56 CEST 2008

Hi Sven,

seems like you are the first one with this hardware...

The important info from the log is this:
2008-10-09 15:32:03 Could not guess physical device for '/dev/rd/c0d0p1'
2008-10-09 15:32:03 ERROR Could not guess physical device for '/dev/rd/c0d0p1'
[48:1] in '/sys/block/rd!c0d0/rd!c0d0p1/dev'.
This is probably a bug in your kernel or in Relax & Recover,
so please file a bug report about this.

Would be interesting to see what '/sys/block/rd!c0d0/rd!c0d0p1/dev' points to ...

To try solving this modify /usr/share/rear/lib/mkdr-functions.sh to read like this:

GuessPhysicalDevice () {
         case "$1" in
         /dev/cciss?c*|/dev/rd?c*)
                 echo "${1%p*}"
                 ;;
         *)
                 Log "Could not guess physical device for '$1'"
                 return 1
                 ;;
         esac
}

Please also do test rear 1.7.6 so that I can make a "tested" 1.8 release. If it
works then please don't forget "rear validate"

BTW, if you noticed the "!" in the device path. This is how the / is translated
into sysfs and the addition to handle this gracefully in rear is not yet so old
(though I don't remember any more when I dealt with this issue, for sure last year).

PS: Thanks for testing the error checking code ... I never tested it due to the
fact that I don't have unsupported hardware :-)

PPS: Would be nice to see other distros on this RAID controller. The handling of
! is not identical everywhere. E.g Fedora (in some versions) will also name the
/dev devices with a ! in the name to match the sysfs name ...