[Rear-users] Rear-users Digest, Vol 8, Issue 1

Schuran, Sven sschuran at maske.de
Fri Nov 28 14:58:43 CET 2008

Hi Schlomo,

sorry for late answer.
What do you mean with rear validate? Is it a feature in rear 1.7.6?

Sven

############################

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:23:56 +0200
From: Schlomo Schapiro <schlomo at schapiro.org>
Subject: Re: [Rear-users] Rear auf einer SLES10 mit einem DAC960 RAID
	Controller
To: Discussions about Relax & Recover
	<rear-users at lists.sourceforge.net>

Hi Sven,

seems like you are the first one with this hardware...

The important info from the log is this:
2008-10-09 15:32:03 Could not guess physical device for '/dev/rd/c0d0p1'
2008-10-09 15:32:03 ERROR Could not guess physical device for '/dev/rd/c0d0p1'
[48:1] in '/sys/block/rd!c0d0/rd!c0d0p1/dev'.
This is probably a bug in your kernel or in Relax & Recover,
so please file a bug report about this.

Would be interesting to see what '/sys/block/rd!c0d0/rd!c0d0p1/dev' points to ...

To try solving this modify /usr/share/rear/lib/mkdr-functions.sh to read like this:

GuessPhysicalDevice () {
         case "$1" in
         /dev/cciss?c*|/dev/rd?c*)
                 echo "${1%p*}"
                 ;;
         *)
                 Log "Could not guess physical device for '$1'"
                 return 1
                 ;;
         esac
}

Please also do test rear 1.7.6 so that I can make a "tested" 1.8 release. If it
works then please don't forget "rear validate"

BTW, if you noticed the "!" in the device path. This is how the / is translated
into sysfs and the addition to handle this gracefully in rear is not yet so old
(though I don't remember any more when I dealt with this issue, for sure last year).

PS: Thanks for testing the error checking code ... I never tested it due to the
fact that I don't have unsupported hardware :-)

PPS: Would be nice to see other distros on this RAID controller. The handling of
! is not identical everywhere. E.g Fedora (in some versions) will also name the
/dev devices with a ! in the name to match the sysfs name ...

Schuran, Sven wrote:
> Moin,
>
> Leider will das rear kein Backup erstellen, da er Probleme bei finden der Device ID hat.
> Kann mir da jemand weiterhelfen?
>
> Danke
> Sven

Sie finden uns im Internet unter: www.maske.de

Maske Autoleasing GmbH
Behringstraße 120
22763 Hamburg

Handelsregister Hamburg HRB 105256
USt-Ident.-Nr. DE 116 923 883
Geschäftsführer: Andreas Maske

Diese e-mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschäftsgeheimnisse oder sonstige vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese e-mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Kenntnisnahme des Inhalts, eine Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe ausdrücklich untersagt. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene e-mail. Vielen Dank.

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal. Thank you for your cooperation.