[Rear-users] F8: can't find /dev/sda

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Sat Mar 29 19:55:18 CET 2008

Hi,

I don't recall Fedora 8 to have been ever tested ...

Generally speaking ReaR does not use udev but copies the /dev directory from the
original system. My guess would be that some start script gets copied over to
the rescue system that cleans up /dev and ReaR does not trigger udev to run.

Having udev in the rescue system would be a great thing, it would also help us
to support slightly different hardware than the original system for the
recovery. My problem with udev is the fact that we want to support ALL kernel
2.6 systems and that udev evolved a lot from the first kernel 2.6 systems till
now and functions somewhat different nowadays. The fact that many distributions
(especially the first kernel 2.6 variants) implement udev differently also makes
it very hard to include udev in a truly portable fashion.

The /sys/block/sda directory should IMHO appear when you load the scsi and
sd_mod modules, maybe you simply have to add some appropriate module to
MODULES_LOAD ? can you post me the lsmod of your original system and compare it
with an lsmod of the ReaR rescue system ? Any significant difference should be
dealt with throught MODULES_LOAD.

PS: I hope that you do use version 1.6 ?