[Rear-users] F8: can't find /dev/sda

Rhonda Kern rhondak at hightouchinc.com
Fri Mar 28 03:00:07 CET 2008

I am trying to use rear with Fedora 8.  I am running it with the
mkbackup option to an ISO file.

I am able to make a bootable DVD.  However, when I try to run "rear
recover" after booting from the DVD I get the message, "ERROR: Required
physical device '/dev/sda' could not be found!"  However, the block
device file, /dev/sda, is actually present.

When I searched for this error message, I found it in
/usr/share/rear/verify/GNU/Linux/12_compare_physical_devices.sh, which
is looking for /dev/sda in $TMP_DIR/physical_devices.

The physical_devices file is created by the function FindPhysicalDevices
from .../verify/GNU/Linux/10_describe_physical_devices.sh  That function
looks for all the devices that have a queue directory in /sys/block/*.

Upon boot, there is no /sys/block/sda directory.  However, if I manually
run start_udev, then the /sys/block/sda directory appears (along with my
DVD drive).

Start_udev is present in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, just like it is when I
boot from the hard drive.

If you're with me so far, here are my questions: Is udevd supposed to
run when booting from the DVD?  If not, how is the /sys/block/sda
directory structure supposed to be created?  If it is supposed to be
running, any thoughts on what would keep start_udev from starting udevd?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rhonda Kern

rhondak_at_hightouchinc.com