[Rear-users] rear mkrescue hangs on SLES 9 (SP4)

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Mon Jan 28 14:32:46 CET 2008

Hi Werner,

nice for you. But, to sum it up, are you sure that the quotes caused the
trouble ? Can you verify this by adding them again ? tar should not
break if you ask it to exclude something that doesn't exist.

You could also try to escape the * with \ instead of the quotes.

PS: Congrats on finding the time sync - it is not very well documented :-(

Werner Flamme wrote:
> Schlomo,
>
> I am sure your software reads this mailing list ;-) Or maybe it was the
> weekend. Or whatever. A "rear -d mkrescue" today created a 13 M sized
> ISO image to boot from. Without hassles. Without the files I do not want...
>
> The only change I made was removing the single quotes from
> /etc/rear/local.conf. These were the first changes I made - the original
> entries were without. I added them later - and forgot them... :-(
>
> So, now I have the following change to the configuration compared to the
>  package I installed:
> - in /etc/rear/local.conf
> COPY_AS_IS_EXCLUDE=( "${COPY_AS_IS_EXCLUDE[@]}"
>     /dev/shm/SAP*
> )
> COPY_AS_IS=( "${COPY_AS_IS[@]}"
>     /etc/ssh/*
>     /usr/share/rear/*
> )
> - in /etc/rear/site.conf
> TIMESYNC=NTP
>
> My oh my, I thought some problems were restricted to this ominous system
> from Redmond ;-)
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Regards,
> Werner
>
> Schlomo Schapiro   [26.01.2008 21:28]:
>> Hi Werner,
>>
>> this is a SLES9 ? Strange of strange, as my demo also uses SLES9 (SP3 IIRC).
>>
>> I have heard another issue of tar -X beeing a problem, but that was on a very
>> specific version of Debian.
>>
>> To debug this kind of trouble I suggest you simply add a call to
>>
>> bash -i </dev/tty9 >/dev/tty9 2>&1
>>
>> after the problematic tar. That will spawn a shell on VT 9 where you can debug
>> in peace and check the result of the tar.
>>
>> The PROGRESS output below is because you used one of the debug options.
>>
>> BTW, you can also use the step-by-step mode to halt the script after the
>> problematic part (or before) to analyse.
>>
>> I am really sorry, but this kind of stuff is hard to debug without having your
>> hands on the system.
>>
>> Try experimenting with your version of tar and the -X option to understand how
>> to write the exclusion. Please note also that the quotes (') in the local.conf
>> prevent the shell from expanding the pattern. You might try removing the quotes
>> so that the shell will expand the patterns to the appropriate directories. In
>> general though, it might be better to add --one-file-system to that specific tar
>> because in most cases people don't want this tar to cross over mountpoints (and
>> could still include them specifically).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Schlomo
>>
>> Werner Flamme wrote:
>>> I am going nuts...
>>>
>>> Now I added some lines to local.conf and switched back to the normal tar
>>> command. It works, except for that -X. The files in /dev/shm/* are
>>> copied though there is still /dev/shm/SAP* in copy-as-is-exclude.
>>> copy-as-is-filelist has now a size of 300+K bytes, not 700 as before.

> [...]
>>> MODULES_LOAD=( vmxnet )