[rear-devel] RFC: what should I do with my ideas for "rear 2.0"?

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Thu Oct 29 16:22:54 CET 2015

Hi,

I tried skimming over the SDB article... Quite impressive!

Do you mean something like this (I use Debian/Ubuntu instead of SUSE)?

* Boot computer from ReaR rescue media
* configure hard disks / partitions / filesystems
* run "debootstrap wily /mnt/local ..."
* install boot loader
* reboot & done

(Yes, I am suffering from the super slow Ubuntu installation process and
the general lack of good documentation for preseed).

I think that such an approach would work only for people who have 100%
automation for their system setup & configuration. For others the
traditional approach probably works better.

In general, I am not sure how to solve the chicken-egg problem if you want
to do all installation by restoring a full backup. How would you setup a
new system? How would you imagine to replace the traditional process of
"source -> binary package -> installation media -> boot computer ->
install"?

BTW, if you need to add stuff to ReaR to make your vision happen: Please go
ahead! We always value your contributions and I think that ReaR on SUSE
would not be as good as it is without your work.