[rear-devel] RFC: what should I do with my ideas for "rear 2.0"?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Oct 29 15:51:32 CET 2015

Hello,

On Oct 29 14:51 Schlomo Schapiro wrote (excerpt):
> if you have a specific proposal then maybe a GitHub issue is best.

I should have mentioned that my "some 'revolutionary' ideas"
are rather unspecific - i.e. more about very general changes.

> And send a teaser to this mailing list to draw attention.

Here it is:

My basic "revolutionary" idea for a future "rear 2.0" is
to transform rear into a generic installer.

I mean a generic installer that can be used both
- for the initial installation and
- for re-installation after a disaster.

My basic reasoning behind is described at
"Deployment via recovery installation" in
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Disaster_Recovery

Some higher-level details:

Instead of first doing an initial installation with the
specific installer of each Linux distribution, then
set up the rear recovery to finally overwrite the initial
installation with a recovery installation, I am thinking
about eliminating the Linux distribution specific installers
and do it only with rear.

This does not necessarily require a generic rear
installation system.

At least for the SUSE installation system ("inst-sys")
it does "just work" to run a selfmade installer script
instead of the SUSE-specific installer YaST, see
"Generic system installation with the plain SUSE installation system"
at https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Disaster_Recovery

At least for me it was really shocking to see how lightning-fast,
powerful, and straightforward such a direct and fully automated
installation is.

I assume once you experienced that yourself, you never again
like to use a Linux distribution specific installer ;-)

If rear could be used as generic installer, one could
run it directly on the plain SUSE installation system.

I have no experience with the installation systems
of other Linux distributions but I hope one could
also run a selfmade generic installer on them
instead of their own installers.

A precondition to use rear as generic installer is
that one can specify the installation parameters
(partitioning, filesystems, mountpoints, bootloader,...)
in human readable and human editable format in a
configuration file for the generic rear installer.

Does this sound interesting?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)