[rear-devel] RFC: Cleanup of the LSB RPM requirements in Rear RPM

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sat Feb 8 00:18:44 CET 2014

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014, Schlomo Schapiro wrote:

> the biggest "dependency" of ReaR to LSB is actually the "lsb_release" tool.
> Why can't you modularize the LSB packages so that there will be a
> lsb_release RPM which does just that and then ReaR will only depend on that
> instead of the entire LSB stack.
>
> From my point of view the proper lack of modularization of the LSB packages
> in both SUSE and RHEL is the real culprit. RHEL is no better, even though
> the LSB packages are more modularized. But they all depend on each other so
> that in the end you install all of them if you need one.
>
> IMHO this lack of LSB package modularization is the root cause of the
> trouble.

This is no longer the case for RHEL5 and RHEL6.

On RHEL6 only redhat-lsb-core is needed.
----
[root at moria images]# rpm -qa redhat-lsb\*
redhat-lsb-core-4.0-7.el6.x86_64
[root at moria images]# rpm -qR redhat-lsb-core | grep lsb
/usr/lib/lsb/install_initd
/usr/lib/lsb/remove_initd
config(redhat-lsb-core) = 4.0-7.el6
[root at moria images]# lsb_release -a
LSB Version:
:base-4.0-amd64:base-4.0-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch:graphics-4.0-amd64:graphics-4.0-noarch:printing-4.0-amd64:printing-4.0-noarch
Distributor ID: RedHatEnterpriseServer
Release:        6.5
Codename:       Santiago
----

On RHEL5 redhat-lsb suffices.
----
[dag at lisse ~]$ rpm -qa redhat-lsb\*
redhat-lsb-4.0-2.1.4.el5.x86_64
[dag at lisse ~]$ rpm -qR redhat-lsb | grep lsb
/usr/lib/lsb/install_initd
/usr/lib/lsb/remove_initd
[dag at lisse ~]$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version:
:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch:graphics-4.0-amd64:graphics-4.0-noarch:printing-4.0-amd64:printing-4.0-noarch
Distributor ID: RedHatEnterpriseServer
Release:        5.10
Codename:       Tikanga
----